I love to Freeze Apple Sauce. It’s a great way to save money and have tasty applesauce long after Fall. Make sure to take a look at my Recipe for Homemade Applesauce in the Slow Cooker. It’s super easy and you can make plenty to add to your freezer.
Freeze Apples for Apple Sauce:
- First, Cook apples using the directions found here.
- Use freezer bags, rigid plastic containers or freezer safe glass jars to freeze your applesauce.
- Leave 1-inch of headspace for quart size or 1/2-inch headspace for pint size containers.
- Allow to cool completely before freezing.
- Can freeze at 0°F for up to 12 months assuming your container is airtight.
For best results, thaw in the refrigerator.
If you like to bake, freeze in 1/4 cup portions to substitute for oil. While you could substitute the full amount of oil for applesauce, it is advised that you limit the substitution to 1/4 cup. Most cookbooks also advise having some oil to improve the texture of your product.
As you can see, it’s easy to Freeze Apples for Apple Sauce. My kiddos even think it tastes better than store bought!