It’s that time of year again – Hurricane Season is approaching!
If you live in Virginia, May 25-31, 2012 is a Sale Tax Holiday allowing you to purchase Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Equipment tax FREE!
During this seven-day period, purchases of items designated by the Department of Taxation as hurricane preparedness equipment, including portable generators, will be exempt from the Virginia sales tax. Portable generators must be priced at $1,000 or less, and other eligible items must be priced at $60 or less for each item.
Below are the qualifying its from the May Sales Tax Holiday: Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Equipment PDF:
Sales Price of $60 or less
The following hurricane preparedness items may be purchased exempt of the Retail Sales and Use Tax during the “Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday,” provided that such items have a selling price of $60 or less per item.
- Artificial ice, blue ice, ice packs and • reusable ice
- Batteries (excluding automobile or boat batteries)
- Tarpaulins, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths, and other flexible waterproof sheeting
- Bungee cords, rope
- Ground anchor systems or tie down
- Any portable self-powered light sources including Flashlights, Lanterns or Glow sticks
- Ratchet straps
- Duct tape
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- Smoke detectors
- Fire extinguishers
- Gas or diesel fuel tanks or containers
- Water storage containers
- Nonelectric food storage coolers
- Bottled water
- Manual can openers
- Portable self-powered radios (including • self-powered radios with electrical •power capability)
- Two-way radios
- Weather band radios and NOAA
- Storm shutter devices
- Cell phone chargers • First Aid Kits
Sales Price of $1,000 or less
The following hurricane preparedness items may be purchased exempt of the Retail Sales and Use Tax during the “Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday,” provided that such items have a selling price of $1000 or less per item.
- Portable generators and generator power cords
- Inverters and inverter power cables
See more on the Hurricane and Emergency Preparedness Equipment Page.
Upcoming VA Sales Tax Holidays:
- August 3-5, 2012: School Supplies and Clothing
- October 5-8, 2012: Energy Star and WaterSense Qualified Products