Disclosure: This recipe is sponsored by Whole Foods Virginia Beach!
My kids LOVE muffins, and I love that they are an easy and healthy breakfast (or snack.) I made this recipe almost entirely organic. I already had Baking Powder, Salt and Vanilla Extract, so I wanted to use some items I already had on hand. I used frozen blueberries because I was able to get an awesome deal on organic blueberries last month, so I froze a ton of them for smoothies and baking. Freezing fruit in season is a great way to eat healthy while on a budget!
This is the first time I’ve cooked with Spelt Flour and I’m hooked. I love the added benefits such as being high in fiber. The flavor is amazing and my kids (nor husband) even noticed the difference. They just kept asking for more!
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) softened butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter muffin tin or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Stir in applesauce, eggs, water and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin cup to about 3/4 full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
This recipe was adapted from Whole Foods.