The kids will be begging you to make this adorable Penguin doughnut recipe again and again. With a bit of work you can take an easy doughnut recipe and turn it into an adorable creation. You could make a double batch and surprise your children class at school or make something extra special on a Saturday morning.
Please note there are 2 parts to this doughnut recipe. Below you will find a doughnut ingredient list and set of directions as well as an icing ingredients list an separate set of directions to finish off your penguins.
Penguin Doughnut Recipe
Makes 12 doughnut
2 2/3 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C milk
1/4 C melted butter
1/2 C sour cream
2 large egg (room temp)
1/4 C vegetable oil
Black food coloring
36 orange M&M’s
24 small edible eyes
1 squeeze bottle
2 disposable piping bag
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a baking spray to prep your doughnut pan.
- Set the pan to the side.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the whole milk, sour cream, and eggs into a separate bowl.
- Whisk in the melted butter, vegetable oil, and vanilla
- Gradually whisk in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined
- Scoop batter into 1 disposable piping bag
- Fill in donut pan with batter
- Bake at 400 degrees for 9 minutes.
- Allow doughnuts to cool a few minutes in the pan.
- Transfer the donuts to a wire rack to completely cool.
Doughnut Icing Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 – 3 tablespoons water
- Whisk all ingredients together in a stand mixer, using the water to adjust for desired consistency.
- Dip donuts into the white icing and place onto white rack to harden for 15 minutes
- Mix in a few drops of black food coloring into the remaining white icing
- Scoop about 3 tablespoons of icing into the last piping bag
- Mix in 1/2 teaspoon of water into the remaining black icing to thin it slightly
- Pour icing into the squeeze bottle
- Pipe a line on the donut for the body of the penguin
- Make sure the leave the bottom white still
- Pipe a small dot onto the “M” side of a orange M&M and place onto the top part of the middle on the donut
- Pipe a dot onto two edible eyes and place onto the donut for eyes
- Pipe a dot onto two more orange M&M’s and place onto the bottom of the donut for the feet
- Allow black icing to dry for 30 minutes before enjoying!
After you try the Penguin doughnut recipe, come back and let us know your thoughts.