When you need frugal hobby ideas, it generally only requires a bit of observation of the world around you. People are getting more creative every day. They share their creativity on social networking sites, blogs, and in their daily lives. If you pay attention to what is going on in these places, ideas will literally spring up before your eyes. Here are some tips & suggestion for when you need frugal hobby ideas and are not sure where to start:
Craft Hobbies & More:
- Pinterest – Pinterest is one of the most popular sites to visit when you need frugal hobby ideas. The images there often lead you to places where you can learn crafting skills and countless other cool ideas. You can even put your own twist on the crafts that you see there.
- Use Search Terms – You can always use your browser to find frugal hobby ideas. Just type in a search term for an interest you already have. Add words to your term as you narrow your interests based on the returns you get. The power of the almighty Google is a very effective tool.
- Recycle – If you want to save some cash, start looking at items you don’t use. You can come up with some interesting hobbies when you recycle what you already own. These hobbies usually cost you very little and often end up being centerpieces of your collection.
- Reading – Check out books from your local library or borrow books from sites such as Kindle Owners Lending Library or Open Library to get books for FREE.
- Puzzles – put together puzzles or complete puzzles such as word search and cross word puzzles from local newspapers. You can also purchase these items for relatively cheap. Jigsaw puzzles can be found for less than $1 at garage sales.
- Cooking – Cook for pleasure instead of just necessity. If you like to bake, plan one day a week as a baking day. You can also put your skills to good use and give meals to friends, neighbors or school fundraisers.
- Photography – You don’t need a fancy camera to take great photos! Start with the camera you already have and play around with light, angles and backdrops.
- Couponing – A hobby to help you save money! See the Couponing Basics guide to get started.
Hobbies Outside of the House:
If you need frugal hobby ideas for outside the house, it usually means you are up for some adventure. Cash doesn’t have to be a problem here because many of the best outdoor hobbies are completely free. Below are some suggestions for outdoor hobbies:
- Gardening – Seeds are inexpensive enough and you can make your own compost so you don’t even have to pay for fertilizer. You can grow your own food and save money on the groceries. You might even sell some of what you grow so you go beyond frugal and make it lucrative. You might even grow flowers instead of food and use them for other hobbies.
- Explore – Look into taking nature walks or geocaching in your area. This gives you a chance to get outside and get some exercise. You will probably also get to explore areas you never thought about before.
- Foraging – Foraging is a great outdoor hobby because it costs you nothing. You can even reduce your bills by foraging for food. This is also a great way to learn about plants and teach children about the benefits and bounties nature has to offer.
- Fishing – enjoy the great outdoors and catch dinner at the same time! You don’t need to spend a fortune on fishing gear either. If you don’t already have a rod, take a look at your local thrift shop to find many like new reels.
You hobbies are only limited by your own imagination. When you need frugal hobby ideas, consider what you already have and how you can use it. Hobbies are often a great way to make use of things that are just sitting around the house or branch out your existing interests.
What are some of your Frugal Hobby Ideas?
Make sure to take a peak at our crafts section for specific ideas!
Barb @ A Life in Balance says
For the longest time, gardening was a frugal hobby my dh and I did together. We had a huge vegetable garden that helped feed our family of 7 year round.
Dana Zeliff says
Gardening is such a great hobby and it definitely helps your budget