Oh, how I love fresh Pico de Gallo!
Pico de Gallo makes a great topping for all my favorite Mexican dishes such as tacos, burritos and nachos. It’s also a fantastic dip – perfect to scoop with salty tortilla chips. Sometimes I just eat it with a spoon – and other times with a bit of avocado. It’s so versatile, you’re friends will be begging you to bring what will soon be pronounced as the best pico de gallo recipe to all your get togethers. This recipe is similar to my favorite Chipotle pico de gallo recipe. The red onion really makes the recipe and gives it that special Chipotle flavor.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can easily adjust it to your tastes. My recipe is a mild version as Lucy and I don’t like our pico de gallo spicy. Derrick would add in 2 jalapeños if he wasn’t sharing with us. You could also leave the seeds in to kick the heat up a notch. I recommend starting with less jalapeño and adding a bit more until you get to the desired level of hotness.
Prep time is approximately 10 minutes with an hour needed before serving. Serving size is about 4 but varies depending on the amount of pico you want to eat!
3 – 4 Seeded Tomatoes, diced (about 2C)
1 Small Red Onion, diced (about 2/3C)
1 Small Jalapeño, finely diced and seeded (about 1 TBSP)
1/2C Cilantro, chopped (about 20 stems)
¼ tsp Kosher Salt
Juice of 1 Lime
1. Put diced tomatoes, red onion, Jalapeño and cilantro into a bowl.
2. Add salt and squeeze lime juice over the top of the mixture.
3. Gently stir until incorporated being careful not to smash the tomatoes!
4. Refrigerate for approximately one hour allowing all the flavors to mingle together.
5. Use as a topping for your favorite dish or eat as a dip with tortilla chips.
*Make this pico de gallo taste even more like Chipotle’s by using 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 a lime instead of just lime.
- 3 - 4 Seeded Tomatoes, diced (about 2C)
- 1 Small Red Onion, diced (about ⅔C)
- 1 Small Jalapeño, finely diced and seeded (about 1 TBSP)
- ½C Cilantro, chopped (about 20 stems)
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Put diced tomatoes, red onion, Jalapeño and cilantro into a bowl.
- Add salt and squeeze lime juice over the top of the mixture.
- Gently stir until incorporated being careful not to smash the tomatoes!
- Refrigerate for approximately one hour allowing all the flavors to mingle together.
- Use as a topping for your favorite dish or eat as a dip with tortilla chips.
The tomatoes will make or break your recipe. I prefer garden fresh or tomatoes from stores such as Whole Foods. I usually purchase whatever tomatoes look best but prefer Roma. I used 4 tomatoes that were roughly the size of a baseball for this batch. Again, Roma tomatoes are my favorite but, of course, you’ll need more than four.
Now get ready for all your friends to beg for your pico de gallo recipe. It’s a super easy dish that will be perfect for summer parties and gatherings.
If you don’t have tortilla chips on hand, try this Homemade Tortilla Chips Recipe.
What do you think? Is this the best pico de gallo recipe you’ve tried? What would you change?